Tuesday, September 11, 2012

DIY Glitter Oxfords

As a person who is disgustingly obsessed with glitter (seriously, I will glitter anything) let me just say that Mod Podge is heaven sent. In all my glitter trials nothing has ever come close to the happiness I get from Mod Podge. And no, they didn't pay me to say that.
The hardest thing for me to find was the shoes. I'd been looking and looking, but sometimes it's very difficult to find anything in my size (I have dinosaur feet) so when I saw these at some random DSW-esque store I was stoked! I also found true love. Yes, true love in a shoe. Shoes I will probably never wear but shoes I love all the same. Could there be a sweeter deal...two for one? Don't mind if I do! Hopefully one day I'll share the other pair. 
Glittering is so easy, just a little bit of MP and a lot of glitter! I mix mine in a shallow container, picture here is the bottom of a plastic cup, and you want the glitter to glue ratio like 5:1 - more glitter means less coats. These shoes took at least 5 coats and there are some spots that literally refuse to have even one tiny sparkle on them. Whatevs. For loose glitter, I gotta hand it to my girl Martha, she knows what she's doing. I toyed with the idea of painting the lacing area, but couldn't decide, so when I was done I just dipped my shoelaces in the leftovers. I'd like to replace the laces with either, real glitter laces or maybe some fine gold ribbon. Either way, voila!

4 comments:

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel welcome to leave a comment!